12 Tips for Creating a Compelling Plot
• Five basic elements make up a story
• Don't let a rhinoceros in the room smash your plot
• Use bait-and-switch device carefully in stories
• Cut plot cliché of histrionic exit
• Utilize Chekhov's gun to make plot work
• Delete bogus alternatives from your story
• Avoid stalling as approaching crucial event
• What is a ‘blood and guts’ scene?
• Use foreshadowing to enrich your story
• Avoid writing gimmick stories
• Utilize plot device to move story forward
• Strengthen story with man vs. himself conflict
• BONUS: “The first chapter sells the book; the last chapter sells the next book.” - Mickey Spillane
Professional Book Editor: Having your novel, short story or nonfiction manuscript proofread or edited before submitting it can prove invaluable. In an economic climate where you face heavy competition, your writing needs a second eye to give you the edge. I can provide that second eye.